Earth Positive Organic Cotton T-Shirts
In a world of throw away and fast fashion, and a growing awareness of the impact the cotton industry has on the environment, it’s a no brainer to choose a garment that is organic, ethical and climate neutral.
The EarthPositive range from Continental Clothing ‘is made to demonstrate the highest possible environmental, social and ethical standards’ and is certified by the GOTS, FWF and the Carbon Trust.
But what does all this shizzle mean?
100% Organic Cotton Certified by the GOTS? What is GOTS?
GOTS stands for Global Organic Textiles Standard, and it’s the leading textile processing standard for organic fibers. When you see this label on a garment, it means that every step of the way from harvesting, production, processing, manufacturing and labeling has been checked and certified by the GOTS.
- Approved products have their entire supply chain verified, even the farms must have certification to a legally recognised standard.
- Approved products must contain at least 70% organic fiber content - EarthPositive garments are made from 100% organic fibers.
- Certification is carried out by independent companies, and facilities are physically inspected.
- Approved products never contain potentially harmful chemicals which can be found in ‘conventional’ textile production.
- It also means safe working conditions, no discrimination and no child labour.
For more information on the GOTS visit their website - www.global-standard.org
Earth Positive t-shirts are audited by the FWF. What is the FWF?
Established in 1999 the Fair Wear Foundation is an initiative to improve working conditions in the garment and textile industry. For an in depth read on all the good stuff the FWF do you can head over to their website - www.fairwear.org. But here is a short list of the main points that make up their Code of Labour Practices:
- Safe and healthy working conditions.
- No exploitation of child labour.
- Payment of living wage.
- Supply chain responsibility, from both labour conditions on the plantations and the environmental impact.
- Factory audits, to make sure factories are upholding FWF commitments.
- Employment freely chosen.
Garments made using 100 % Green renewable energy
And lastly the Carbon Trust, who work alongside governments, organisations and companies to develop clean technology, ie. offshore wind, marine energy, and in turn help them to reduce their carbon emissions and increase resource efficiency. By working with businesses, governments and organisations the carbon trust verifies carbon footprints and makes sure that all standards have been met.
EarthPositve t-shirts are made in factories powered by 100% green renewable energy, reducing the carbon footprint of a t-shirt by a whopping 90%! You can find out more about the carbon trust here - www.carbontrust.com.
The Earth Positive Clothing Collection
So there you go, a quick rundown on what makes an EarthPositive garment a great, or probably the best eco option.